@theretreatyork12 October 2019
Psychoanalytic Group Therapy
This therapy is a longer term therapy, providing a safe space so that people can talk about their difficulties. This increases self-understanding and improves relationships with others. Being able to express difficult thoughts and feelings makes them feel less overwhelming and in time, more manageable.
Who might group therapy be useful for?
This therapy is a longer term therapy, particularly helpful for people with difficulties in their relationships, their self-confidence or in communicating with others. This may be in all areas of life or particularly in work, home life or with friends and family. You may be experiencing some of the following:
- Feel isolated and alone and find it hard to trust others
- Lack self confidence
- Feel depressed and anxious
- Always feel on the edge of things and that you don’t belong.
- Find yourself repeating the same patterns in relationships
- Struggle with knowing who you are or understanding your feelings
- Experienced difficulties in your early life that impact on you now
- Get stuck in a particular role in the family or at work
- Struggle with feelings such as guilt, shame or anger.
Group psychotherapy provides a safe space so people can talk about their difficulties. This increases self-understanding and improves relationships with others. Being able to express difficult thoughts and feelings makes them feel less overwhelming and in time, more manageable.
What do we offer?
Our groups meet in the evening so are accessible if you are working. There is a maximum of eight group members and we meet weekly for 90 minutes. This is a longer-term psychotherapy and you should join for at least six months but you can stay longer. New members join the group as spaces are available. The groups are facilitated by a group psychotherapist who will help group members get the most from the group. They will meet with you on your own at first, to get to know you and so you can think about whether group therapy is suitable for you.
How To Access The Service
For further information about this service please call us on 01904 412551